The P-47 originated as an interceptor by Seversky Aircraft Co. (later renamed Republic Aviation Corp.), it found it’s true role as a hard-hitting ground-attack aircraft. The P-47 design started in August 1939 as the AP-10, when new requirements had to be met, it was redesigned into the XP-47B. The prototype flew on May 18, 1941, the US Army Air Corps took delivery of the first P-47B on March 18, 1942 and the aircraft flew in combat over Europe on April 8, 1943. The P-47, commonly known as the “JUG” was flown in every active Theater of WW II except Alaska. The P-47 was favored for the ability to sustain heavy damage and still complete the mission. The P-47 design included self-sealing fuel tanks, armor plating for the pilot, and heavier armament. The P-47N was specifically designed for the Pacific Theater for very long range escort missions. The P-47 was built in larger numbers than any other American fighter, 15,683 aircraft were built before production ended. This P-47N-5-RE S/N 44-89320 was one of the last production Thunderbolts built at Republic Aviation in Farmingdale, NY. It is being displayed in the markings of the 463rd Fighter Squadron, 507th Fighter Group while stationed at Ie Shima Island near Okinawa in the Pacific Ocean. This aircraft is one of only a few P-47s still in flying condition today.